Dining Table Decor: Comprehensive Guide
When it comes to table décor, the most asked question is ‘what should I put on my dining table?’ These days there are so many choices when it comes to modern dining table decoration ideas. From formal dining table decorating ideas to dining room table Christmas decoration ideas our comprehensive guide to table décor will finally have you stop asking ‘what should I put on my dining table?’ And instead give you dining room table centrepiece ideas unique and modern to make sure your special occasions and your everyday dining table is something not only functional but stylish.
When holidays come around whether or not you are hosting a dinner party, it’s always nice to get into the spirit of the holidays. What easier way to do that than to create dining room table centrepiece ideas unique and trendy to get your home into the holiday spirit. So to stop you wondering what should I put on my dining table? We’ve put together some great modern dining table decoration ideas for the holidays. Including some fantastic dining room table Christmas decoration ideas and formal dining table decorating ideas.
So, you are wanting to get into the Christmas spirit! Or maybe you are hosting a Christmas dinner. We’ve got you covered with our dining room table Christmas decoration ideas. These ideas are perfect whether or not you are looking for formal dining table decorating ideas or something more casual. There are a few different dining table decor ideas you can go for depending on if you are looking for more traditional dining table decor ideas or modern dining table decoration ideas.
Traditional Christmas Tables
Traditional Christmas dining table decor ideas are generally more formal dining table decorating ideas. Think tall candles, holly centrepieces and red ribbons and bows. There is a way you can keep these formal dining table decorating ideas but put an on-trend twist to it.
- The first step is to start with your cutlery. Is your cutlery silver or gold? This will determine whether you use. Silver or gold candle stick holders and the general colour scheme of your dining room table Christmas decoration ideas.
- Once you have decided about your cutlery, it’s time to move to the dining plates. A classic bone china is always a lovely idea. It may be tempting to use your plates to show off some of the colour of your dining table decor ideas but if you are already have a more traditional décor then it may be too much. Sticking with a white if you are going to have a busy table is the best idea.
- The sticking with white rule also applies for tablecloths. When you have formal dining table decorating ideas it can be nice to keep your base items as clean and simple as possible, such as silver or gold cutlery, white plates and a white table cloth. This allows you to get more creative with your dining room table centrepiece ideas unique and traditional.
- Now you have your base features down, it’s time to get started on the centrepiece. Greenery is always a beautiful idea. Pieces of spruce are traditional and never fail to look lovely. You can get longer pieces of spruce and line the middle of the table with them, almost like a table runner. Or you could stick to smaller pieces and scatter them throughout the table centre.
- Candles can be a beautiful additional to your dining room table Christmas decoration ideas. It’s up to you and the space you have on your table as to whether or not you will want wider free-standing candles or thinner tall candles in candle stick holders. Both can look beautiful. If you choose to have free standing wider candles, then you may want to consider keeping them on a small plate. Teacup saucers can be perfect for this and you can pick up some cheap ones from a thrift store. Having something under your freestanding candle will ensure you don’t get any nasty wax drips on your tablecloth that can be a real pain to get out.
- Now it’s time for the final touches. Adding some beautiful wine glasses and tumblers to the table for a classy look.
- Napkins are also a perfect touch. Cloth napkins never fail to make a table look classy. Lay them folded in thirds flat or tie them and add some extra spruce in to give your plate a little colour.
- Some other unique dining room table centrepiece ideas to finish off your table setting are fairy lights. Drape them through your table centrepiece. Or add in some pinecones or holly for some festive cheer!
Modern Dining table Decoration Ideas for your Christmas Table
If you are wanting dining room table Christmas decoration ideas but are not a fan of the real traditional white Christmas look table décor then we have some modern dining table decoration ideas for you to add an on trend look to your Christmas table. Even though these looks are non- traditional they can still be used as formal dining table decorating ideas as well as casual dining. It’s time to think outside the box with dining room table centrepiece ideas unique and stylish.
- Your first step is to once again decide on your cutlery as this will set the tone of your dining experience. Try a modern gold design or matte black. These can already give a unique twist to your dining table decor ideas.
- Now for the plates. White will always look nice, but you can go outside the box for this too. Matching matte black plates with your cutlery or try some stoneware plates. There are some beautiful ceramic handmade plates that are certainly unique out there and can make a statement in themselves.
- If you have a lovely timber dining table like the Compass II Dining table or the Latitude dining table, you may want to leave off the tablecloth and use the timber grain as a feature. However, if you do want to use a tablecloth don’t go too dark with it, but instead use a beautiful flax or natural linen coloured tablecloth. Neutrals are great when it comes to tablecloths, but it doesn’t have to be a stark white.
- Simplistic can be great when it comes to modern dining room table Christmas decoration ideas. Instead of doing a full table runner or centrepiece, try instead to add a little greenery in the form of rosemary or small olive branches.
- If you are having a dinner party then you may want to add name place cards. These can look beautifully done when attached to small wrapped Christmas gifts. Keep the wrapping paper neutral using brown paper and string and place a sprig of rosemary in.
- A few decorations won’t go astray on your table if it is still looking a little bare. Wide freestanding candles can again look lovely and when they are white can add a classic touch to your modern dining table decoration ideas.
- Have fun with it! Play around with some unique dining room table centrepiece ideas and see what you can come up with.
Easter is another time when people come together to celebrate and the perfect time to add a holiday cheer to your home with some unique dining room table centrepiece ideas. If you are looking for formal dining table decorating ideas for a dinner party then there is the formula of:
- Dinner plates
To remember. Start with your cutlery first, then decide on what plates you want to have. Neutral is almost always better because it allows for more dining table decor ideas for your centrepiece. The same can be said for tablecloths. This will allow for more playfulness in accessories.
Easter Formal Dining Table Decorating Ideas
For more classy but formal dining table decorating ideas try going with a gorgeous rose gold theme. Match rose gold cutlery to some rose coloured cloth napkins for something special. You can even try your hand at dying or spray painting your own eggs. A gold spray paint can look very effective and add an element of luxe. Adding some splashes of greenery to your arrangement never goes astray either. Choose some beautiful thyme or sage for some soft pastel green.
Fun Unique Dining Room Table Centrepiece Ideas
If you have children, then you’re probably all about making your Easter table fun! This is best done with beautiful pastels and cute colourful designs. To make sure your colour pallet isn’t too overwhelming start with a neural base like a cream or natural linen tablecloth and then choose two or three colours to be in your pallet. You may want to choose between pastel blues, greens, yellows and pinks. Within your colour range, you can find fun prints. Try a spotted or a stripped napkin. These can be easily made by buying some linen from your local fabric store and sewing around the edges.
Coloured eggs are another way to really make your dining room table centrepiece ideas unique. Dye regular eggs in lovely pastel colours. You can also get very creative by adding faces to them or writing some special Easter messages on them. Using these eggs to write table place names on is also another fun idea. If you don’t want to go to the effort of dying eggs yourself, there are some beautiful chocolate speckled eggs that can be bought and also make a great treat when dinner is finished! Just don’t put these directly on your tablecloth if it is a hot day, or you may find some unwanted chocolate stains from them melting! A safe bet is to put these in some beautiful small baskets spread throughout the table.
Thanksgiving is may be one of the most stressful time of the year when it comes to thinking what should I put on my dining table! With days of family lunches and dinners as well of celebrations with friends, you don’t want to have the stress of redoing your table centrepiece for each different dinner and coming up with endless formal dining table decorating ideas. We’ve put together some dining table decor ideas and dining room table centrepiece ideas unique and easy to achieve to take the stress out of the holidays.
The Centrepiece Tray
Trays are great unique dining room table centrepiece ideas. Having your centrepiece in a tray means it can easily be moved off the table while cleaning up, and then pop it back on again. Trays are perfect dining table decor ideas if you want to have a décor on your tables for a few weeks. A tray helps to keep everything together and you loose the risk of your items being scattered around the table, damaged or lost. It also makes cleaning so much easier.
You can choose your tray shape depending on your table shape. If you have a round dining room table it makes sense to find a round tray. If you have a long narrow rectangular dining tray then you will want a similar long rectangular tray. And if you have a regular rectangular dining table then a regular sized tray will suffice.
Trays should not be too deep so they can still put your unique dining room table centrepiece ideas on full display. Choose whether you want to go for a neutral white or timber. Timber can be a great choice as it will work for so many different occasions, not just thanksgiving. A gold or silver tray can add something very special to your formal dining table decorating ideas.
Once you’ve chosen your tray shape colour and style then you are ready to start thinking about your contents. Do you want a traditional fall style colour pallet with pumpkins and autumn leaves? Or are you looking for some modern dining table decoration ideas?
Traditional Thanksgiving Tray Décor
A more traditional thanksgiving tray will include Autumn colour. This colour pallet is usually shaded of orange, cream and brown. You can acquire some small baby pumpkins from the grocery store which make a great decorations, or alternatively there are some great painted or wooden pumpkins that will last you for seasons to come. Style these in with some greenery, real or fake and top it off with some lovely pumpkin spice scented candles.
Luxe Thanksgiving Tray Décor
If you are wanting some formal dining table decorating ideas then how about trying more of a luxe approach to your décor tray. Unique dining room table centrepiece ideas can mean you take more of a muted down version of a traditional tray. Instead of going for bright oranges get your hands one some cream coloured pumpkins. Adding some gold glitter to these (but not too much) can make for something special. Try a grouping of gold and white candles in the middle of the tray and spread your pumpkins around that. Pinecones can be added to the mix for some interest too. If you haven’t glittered your pumpkins then try adding some glitter to the tips of your pines cones. Avoid doing both pumpkins and pinecones like this or it will be glitter overload!
Seasonal Dining Table Ideas
Decorating your dining table for the seasons is a great way to have a slight décor shift and give your dining area a freshen up without having to do a full-blown renovation. There are plenty of modern dining table decoration ideas that include flower arrangement ideas for dining tables and unique dining room table centrepiece ideas that will help you transition your home along with the seasons.
Summer is that lovely time of year where the mornings are warm, and the sun is golden. In summer it’s so lovely to bring some of that summer sunshine inside and here are some dining table decor ideas to help you do just that.
In summer try out a linen tablecloth in shades of white, oat and flax. A linen tablecloth can provide some lightness and airiness to your dining room table. Your tablecloth doesn’t have to be completely one colour either. There are some beautiful tablecloths that have a very light pattern around the edges or a thin strip that runs throughout. Linen tablecloths can give your dining table a light summery feeling.
Summer is a great time to display a fruit bowl as a centrepiece on. Your table. Stone fruit season is in full swing and cherries, apricots, peaches and nectarines are all out and ripe for the picking. These gorgeous colours can help lift the room and give off the summery vibe. Having fruit out on display will make you more likely to eat it too!! So just keep topping up your fruit bowl every day. Fruit bowls come in so many different styles.
- wooden fruit bowls. Do for a classic rounded shape, or something a little more modern. Make sure the colour wood matches in with your existing timber theme in your house. A dark timber fruit bowl will look very out of place on a light oak timber table.
- Ceramic fruit bowls. Ceramics are right on trend at the moment. There are some stunning handmade ceramic fruit bowls out there. You can get one in neutral colours or really make a statement with a beautifully pigmented ceramic fruit bowl. If you are going for a colour, make sure it is a colour that can fit in with your existing décor. Ranging from small to large, see what size fits your table.
- Metal fruit bowls. Metal fruit bowls can be a great dining table decor idea. There are two types, a bowl type metal fruit bowl. These look great in brass. Then there are the wire style fruit bowls. These fruit bowl styles are not enclosed so the fruit is visible at the bottom also. These are great for storing harder fruit like lemons and citrus, but can bruise softer stone fruits or let smaller fruits like cherries escape the edges.
Spring is the optimum time to look at some flower arrangement ideas for dining tables. With nature in full bloom fresh flowers are plentiful. If you have asked what should I put on my dining table in spring? The answer is defiantly fresh flowers. There are so many different flower arrangement ideas for dining tables that you are sure to find a style that matches with your home.
The English garden style of flower arrangement ideas for dining tables is centred around fresh cut flowers in a range of colours. Think of freesias, tulips, ranunculus and hyacinths all styled together in a beautiful explosion of colour. If you live in the city, a beautiful flower arrangement like this on your dining room table can bring a bit of the country to you.
Finding the right vase for your flower arrangement ideas for dining tables is central and plays a big role in the styling of your home. When it comes to vases there is a range to choose from so it won’t be hard to find one that’s just right for you.
- Glass vases. You can’t go past the classic glass vase. Coming in so many different styles, a glass vase always looks fresh. If you want to make your vase a bit more of an interest point then you can try and see how a coloured glass vase works in your home.
- Ceramic vases. Ceramic vases are great modern dining table decoration ideas. They can really add to the charm and earthiness of your home.
- China Vases. More delicate than the ceramic a china vase has a very old English feel to it.
- French antique pitchers. A very unique dining room table centrepiece idea is to use old French enamel jugs as vases. These give a very country house feel to your area. You can buy these vintage or new.
As you can see there are so many different dining table decor ideas. From formal dining table decorating ideas to dining room table Christmas decoration ideas. modern dining table decoration ideas and unique dining room table centrepiece ideas. There is no need for you to wonder what should I put on my dining table, again!